Saturday, January 16, 2010

Silent Saturday Soliloquy

A week ago today I attended a Silent Saturdays film at the amazing Orpheum Theatre in Phoenix - thanks for the invitation Lolita!

Align Center

When I parked the car and started walking over, I saw a very sharp group of Vintage Folks in their finery and just knew I was in the right place! Thanks Jenny and Maria and everyone for making me so welcome!

The Orpheum was built between 1927 and 1929, and has been restored to it's full glory, inluding a Wurlitzer pipe organ. And let me tell you - the organist Ron Rhodes can sure play! We were treated to an introduction to the film by a local film history professor, and about 20 or so minutes of fabulous organ music before the intermission, which included beautiful light projections to add to the atmosphere.

The film was "Safety Last" with Harold Loyd, and I truly enjoyed this gem of a film accompanied by the live organ music - I found myself laughing, oohing and gasping all the way through!



After the film, the emcee requested photos with the "Arizona Vintage Life" folks and here a few:



Glamorous Gals!

Handsome Fellas!


After the show we walked over to another historic building, Hanny's for drinks and a friendly chat. Hanny's was originally a department store built in 1947, which has no been converted to a very hip lounge. I think it's a great blend of old and new and a fun atmosphere for chatting with friends. If you go, be sure to take a picture inside the old elevator shaft!


Hanny's Circa 1947


Hanny's today

I'm looking forward to the next Silent Saturday and many other events with my new friends - watch for more updates soon!

2 comments:

Lolita Haze said...

So that's what Hanny's used to look like. I guess a little google research would do that!

Roxy (aka Hamilton Honey) said...

I love that it was billed as "the most modern building in the southwest" :)