Sunday, January 24, 2010

When it rains, it pours....and hails and snows!

Well, howdy again from the desert! We had quite a week of weather here recently and I thought I'd share some views with y'all. First a little background on the storm - we had about 8 inches of rain in just about 3 days, which means that I woke up to the sound of rushing water one morning! It's such a contrast when you're used to it being dry and quiet.

It was difficult to get pictures of just how much water came in, but here are a couple more shots from near the bridge in town. Incidentally, the bridge was struck by trees and some culvert that washed down the river and was closed for about a week until it was determined to be structurally sound.



Everything's fine here at the old homestead, but the road to the place was flooded for several days, and my boss was kind enough to let me bring my sleeping bag and camp out at her place so I wouldn't miss work - thanks, Melina!!

After the rain finally quit, it turned quite cold, sent down some hail then proceeded to dust the Bradshaw Mountains with a sugar coating of snow!





Finally around day 6, the sun came peeking through - and again, what a contrast! The pictures just are not enough to convey the glorious play of light and shadow and color after the storm...




So how's the weather in *your* neck of the woods?

2 comments:

PADDY said...

It just looks like the most beautiful of places, really it does. I love how places that other folk describe as 'wilderness' and 'bleak' and 'barren' can actually have so much life and colour and beauty to them. The play of colours you get either on the build up to a storm or the aftermath where you have dark, black greys set against light colours is just so amazing, and I wish I had a camera and the skills to capture it (as I had such a scene yesterday with snow against dark skies...). Glad you didn't have to build an Ark!

Roxy (aka Hamilton Honey) said...

You take words right out of my mouth (or brain?) and I do wish I had better photography skills too.

This morning was just incredible with the moon setting over the hills and the cotton tail rabbits and the pair of cardinals in the palo verde trees - at least I have that picture in my mind!